MSAA is very proud to present our 2017-18 Art Showcase – celebrating the work of artists affected by multiple sclerosis (MS).
We have received many wonderful submissions from across the country and are delighted to share their work and their stories with you. Please visit our online gallery to view all of the new submissions.
|Michelle Hotchkiss – Palmer, AK
About the Artist:
“I started pursuing art in order to find something creative, beautiful and enjoyable after my MS progressed to the point I took early retirement, and I needed to find something to fill my time.
My style of art has a lot of fine detail. Sometimes MS makes it difficult to see so I use a magnifying glass and bright lights when necessary. Due to MS fatigue, I have also learned not to rush my art. Sometimes it may take months to finish a piece and I have learned to be OK with that. Just keep it enjoyable!”
Don’t have time to bake all day? Neither do I! This recipe is easy, fast, and tastes delicious.
Even better, it only requires 3 ingredients. You can also make this ahead of time and freeze so it is ready to go when you need it.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Lemon Cake Mix
- 2 cans Blueberry Pie Filling
- 1 stick butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray inside of glass or ceramic 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Pour cans of Blueberry Pie Filling into bottom of baking dish, and spread evenly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry Lemon Cake Mix and melted Butter, and stir until crumbly.
- Pour butter/cake crumble mixture over the Blueberry Pie Filling.
- Layer in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes
Enjoy this cake with some ice cream or even fresh fruit on the side.
Summer is officially upon us, and as we all celebrate the warm weather with barbecues and pool days, here are six sun safety tips to keep in mind while you are outside with friends and family this summer:
- Remember that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10:00 am – 4:00 pm. It’s a great idea to limit your sun exposure during these times.
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going outside and reapply regularly to keep your skin protected. Using a waterproof sunscreen protects in and out of the water!
- Cloudy days still require sunscreen. 80% of the sun’s rays can pass through clouds.
- Stay hydrated! Don’t wait for your thirst to set in. Remember to drink water throughout the day.
- Protect your head and eyes with hats and sunglasses. Make sure your sunglasses have UVA and UVB protection.
- Some places are easily forgotten when applying sunscreen. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to the tops of your feet, the backs of your ears, and use an SPF lip balm.
We hope everyone enjoys a safe and happy Independence Day!
Please note that MSAA will be closed on Monday, July 3rd and Tuesday, July 4th in recognition of Independence Day. We will reopen on Wednesday, July 5th.