With the holiday season in full swing some individuals may find themselves busy making plans and preparations for this festive time of year. For others this season may represent a time when some extra help is needed to make the holiday special. Financial challenges can make expectations of the holidays a struggle, but it’s important to know that there are resources available that may help support your holiday activities, and therefore lift some of the stress that can accompany these festivities. The following community resources may be able to offer help through the holidays. Be sure to check with the organizations directly about their application requirements and deadlines as many have specific time frames to apply for help.
- Salvation Army offices offer seasonal services and holiday assistance programs to help families in need with holiday dinners, toys, and clothing. Search for your local office to inquire about direct programs and services and application deadlines.
- The United Way can offer information and referrals for holiday assistance programs in your community.
- The Toys for Tots Program provides new, unwrapped toys during the holidays to children in need through community outreach and support efforts.
- Catholic Charities Services and other local religious organizations may offer seasonal assistance as well, though these programs can vary based on location. Contact the groups in your area directly to inquire of services available.
- Contact the county department of family/social services in your area, as their office may have additional holiday assistance and resources available.
- You can also check with local schools in the community that may know of holiday assistance programs for families.
- Community food banks may also be able to offer holiday assistance programs in your area during the season.
Again, many community assistance programs have specific application deadlines and requirements in order to receive holiday assistance by a certain time. Be sure to reach out to the resources to see what’s available in your area and how to apply.