In today ‘s fast paced and ever changing world, we are so focused on securing our place in the rat race that we forget to focus on the most important thing which is ourselves. It is so vital that we set time apart for ourselves to engage in pursuits that add value to life. I am sharing some tested and tried strategies that have worked for me:
- Spending quality time with family and friends is not only a great way to unwind, but also a great outlet to vent out one’s thoughts, feelings and emotions.
- Find a hobby or leisurely activity, something as simple as doing a crossword puzzle or doodling a can take your mind off the regular routine of things.
- Pour some essential oil into your diffuser and listen to some music, it can stimulate the receptors in the brain to improve one’s mood and anxiety levels.
- Go for a stroll in the neighborhood. For those who have issues with mobility, walking aids like canes or equipment like rollators can enable one to be safe and independent. It will also give you an opportunity to breathe the fresh air and enjoy the goodness of nature.
- Practicing healthful living habits like eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water and getting adequate sleep can go a long way in ensuring overall wellness.
- Meditation and breathing exercises can help your mind and body calm down and relax during stressful times.
- Squeezing on a stress ball or a fidget toy can alleviate anxiety as well.
It is important that we train our mind to let go of things that we cannot control. Free yourself of those negative thoughts. Let go of toxic relationships. Surround yourself with people who motivate you to be the best version of yourself. Reflect and introspect. Do things that matter to you the most. Cherish the little moments and make memories that will last a lifetime. Take care of yourself so that you can take care of others. So most importantly, take it easy when you can.