For this month’s featured recipe, we are delighted to highlight a delicious concoction from an MS care partner during MS Awareness Month.
Arlene’s husband David was diagnosed with MS in 1997, seven years after receiving a diagnosis of transverse myelitis that appeared with an attack of acute symptoms. Living on their family’s ranch in Montana with their children and grandchildren nearby, cooking has become Arlene’s art form over the years. She’s grown a greater skill set in this art and has continued sharing several recipes and her family’s story with the MS community.
Our featured recipe is one of Arlene’s favorites to share! This crock pot cream cheese chicken chili recipe can be assembled in under ten minutes. The cook time may vary in the crock pot between 6-8 hours. You can serve this recipe on tortillas or rice as shown in the picture below. Arlene has even caught her daughter warming it up to serve as a chunky dip!
- 2 chicken breasts, still frozen
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can corn kernels, do NOT drain
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 package Ranch dressing mix
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes- optional
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese
- Put the frozen chicken breasts in your crock pot.
- Top with the tomatoes, corn, and the beans.
- Add ranch dressing, and seasonings.
- First, stir these ingredients together and then top with the brick of cream cheese.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring once or twice to blend in the cheese. Resist the temptation to do this too often.
- When ready to serve, remove the chicken, shred and return to the crock pot.
- Now the best part: decide how you want to serve this.
- Serve over rice or quinoa, in tortillas, or over tortilla chips or thin it down with chicken broth for a soup.
You can view pictured directions on Arlene’s website.