The concept of wellness can encompass many different pieces. However, when we hear this term the first thought that usually comes to mind is physical wellness. Maintaining a strong, healthy physique is a goal for many. So how can we improve our physical wellness? That is the million-dollar question that everybody wants to know—I know I do!
Physical wellness encourages us to care for our bodies through physical activity, proper nutrition, and positive thinking. It doesn’t have to be about body building, lifting weights or being able to run for miles. This type of wellness can look different for each person, which is part of its appeal. You can tailor a routine that fits your needs and what you’re able to do!
This regimen doesn’t have to be monumental to have effect. There are several small steps you can take that will help improve your overall health and quality of life, even if you only have a few minutes a day.
Here are 5 simple ways to help improve your personal physical wellness:
- Drink more water and fewer sugary drinks.
- Exercise regularly (with guidance from your doctor).
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Wash your hands and practice good personal hygiene.
Finding a path to overall health improvement, and mindfully and patiently focusing on these five important areas will help you take care of yourself. You and your body deserve the most that wellness has to offer.
The Mind, Body, and MS Connection
To continue the conversation about wellness during MS Awareness Month, MSAA invites you to participate in the following activities:
- Register for the live webinar “Keeping it Simple: Everyday Mindfulness for People Living with MS” coming up on Tuesday, March 24, 2020 from 7:00 – 8:00 PM Eastern.
- Listen to the latest episode of the the MSAA Podcast “Better Symptom Management through Wellness” with guests Mary Rensel, MD and Amy Sullivan, PsyD.