Well, Fall is finally here even if in most parts of the country it doesn’t feel like it. Most people associate Autumn with its two main holidays: Halloween and Thanksgiving. I know that if you were to play a word association game with me, I’d tell you that Fall makes me think of warm apple cider, jack o’lanterns, pumpkin pie, turkey and trick or treating. All those things are connected to the holidays.
I thought to myself that there had to be more to the season. Guess what? There is so much more to celebrate. I came across a website (http://www.nationaldaycalendar.com/october/) that lists all of the “National Days” that you might hear mentioned on the morning news or radio. Some are serious, but most are a bit silly. I, for one, don’t think you can have too much silly in your life. So, while there were so many for the season, I thought I’d share my favorites for October.
- October 4th – National Taco Day. Have Mexican food for lunch or dinner to celebrate!
- October 8th – National Fluffernutter Day. Make yourself a peanut butter and marshmallow fluff sandwich. If that’s not your speed, celebrate National Pierogi Day instead!
- October 10th – National Kick Butt Day. This is the day to give yourself a kick in the pants and get yourself moving on something you’ve been meaning to do for a while.
- October 12th – National Bring Your Teddy Bear to Work Day. Get all of your co-workers involved and have a slumber party!
- October 14th – National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day. Make sure your kids know you expect them to celebrate this day! And, have the pie or ice cream at the end because it’s also National Dessert Day!
- October 17th – National Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day. This might be the easiest cleaning chore of them all! Click and clean!
- October 18th – National Chocolate Cupcake Day. Buy yourself a chocolate cupcake as a reward for all of the hard work you did yesterday!
- October 22nd – National Nut Day. Peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pistachios…so many nuts and only 24 hours to celebrate!
- October 28th – National Breadstick Day. I wonder if Olive Garden knows about this day? It might be fun (and tasty) finding out!
- October 30th – National Candy Corn Day. Finally, a reason to dig into the Halloween candy early!
- October 31st – National Knock Knock Jokes Day. Have some fun with the trick or treaters by telling funny and corny knock knock jokes all day. You’ll have a captive audience because they’ll want the candy!
This website serves as a reminder that there is always something in life worth enjoying. Plus, there is no law against you creating your own day of fun for your friends and family. In the end, it’s just important that we, as the website’s motto says, “Celebrate Every Day”.